The school year has started and I have decided to incorporate more midline crossing tasks into my students’ day. These are my favorite for kids in kindergarten and above.
- I love tasks using the infinity sign. It is easy to do on a dry erase or use different colored markers to make an infinity rainbow. Draw large figure eights (the infinity sign or an 8 turned on its side) on paper, on a chalk board, on the floor with a finger, in the air with a finger. The child keeps the finger on the infinity sign. To make this harder, add letter stickers outside the infinity sign and the child says the letters as they trace the sign.
- Kids love to walk differently. Try walking like this: Cross one foot over the other while walking sideways.
- Need a 2 min exercise break. My kids love to knee slap or make it more difficult with the knee Slap Walk (Walk around raising each knee while touching/slapping it with the opposite hand (or elbow). Change it to a skip while touching the opposite knee as it comes up). Try to keep a pattern or use a metronome.
- Windmills are great whole class activities. Stand with feet spread apart and arms extended out to the sides. Bend over at waist and tap right hand to left foot. Stand back up and then bend and tap left hand to right foot. Use a metronome or spell your spelling words to the beat. IE every time you touch the foot, you say a letter.
- A variation of the windmill is called Sticker the Shoe. Two kids stand facing each other. Partner A stands in a windmill position and gives stickers from extended hands. Partner B gets a sticker and places it on Partner A’s opposite shoe. Get sticker in the right hand and placed on partner’s right shoe. Sticker in the left hand is placed on the partner’s left shoe. Be sure to stand up straight to get the stickers. Then switch positions. Oh no the sticker need to be removed. Now partners do alternating windmills to remove each others stickers. Be careful not to bonk heads. The kids must be in sync to do this task safely
- Hand Clapping games – Forget the ones you used to know. Check out these suggestions – funclapping.com
- Try a Slinky – walk it hand to hand.
- Playing Twister
- Practice the cross crawl. Here are the best instructions I found on line. Google Cross Crawl for pictures and alternate explanation. I am not posting a link to the web site as it was not responding correctly and I do not want to spread a virus. Thanks to the author for the great wording.
STAND WITH THE FEET COMFORTABLY APART.
# 1 – LIFT THE LEFT KNEE UP AND TOUCH IT WITH THE RIGHT HAND. THE KNEE AND HAND TOUCH IN FRONT OF THE CENTER OF THE BODY. THEN RELEASE THE KNEE AND HAND AND RETURN THE FOOT TO THE GROUND.
# 2 – LIFT THE RIGHT KNEE UP AND TOUCH IT WITH THE LEFT HAND. KNEE AND HAND TOUCH IN FRONT OF THE CENTER OF THE BODY. THEN RELEASE THE KNEE AND HAND, FOOT RETURNS TO GROUND. THEN REPEAT THE EXERCISE, CONTINUALLY SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH;
- Cross crawl advanced
# 1 – REACH OUT AND UP WITH THE LEFT HAND AND LOOK UP TO THE LEFT AT THE HAND. PLACE THE LEFT LEG/FOOT UP BEHIND THE BODY. THE RIGHT HAND REACHES BEHIND THE BODY AND TOUCHES THE LEFT FOOT (TOP OF FOOT OR TOES) FOR A SECOND. THEN RELEASE THE HAND AND FOOT. FOOT RETURNS TO GROUND AND LEFT AND RIGHT HANDS MOVE DOWN TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES OF THE BODY.
# 2 – REPEAT WITH OPPOSITE HANDS, FOOT; RIGHT HAND UP, LOOK UP TO RIGHT HAND. RIGHT LEG/FOOT UP BEHIND BODY. LEFT HAND TOUCHES RIGHT FOOT BEHIND BODY. RELEASE HAND, FOOT AND LEFT AND RIGHT HANDS MOVE DOWN TO SIDES.
12. Rotational Sit Ups
13. Tracethe8s – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIzgO5AKhnQ
14. Learn to juggle. Check out utube for lessons. Here is my favorite. https://youtu.be/i53Pw53vfTQ